Trekking Gear: A Message from Namgial, Global LAB’s Ladakh Local Coordinator
Hi. I cannot wait to meet the Fall 2009 India Semester Group! Before you depart from the states, I want to make sure that you have the proper gear for the trek. Because of the extreme weather conditions and the rugged Ladakhi topography, it is very important that you have appropriate clothing and equipment. Please make sure you pack according to the packing list previously provided and please do not forget the following items as they are important for the trek:
- Internal Frame Backpack
- Daypack: A smaller day backpack
- Sleeping Bag: “mummy” style and have a temperature rating between 0 and 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sleeping Pad
- 2 Water Bottles
- Head Lamp: Flashlights are okay, but headlamps are more convenient.
- Down Jacket
- Outer Shell: Water-proof or gore-tex, ideally light-weight and breathable.
- Sweater/Fleece Jacket
- Thermal Underwear: 1 top, 1 bottom.
- Gloves & Warm Hat
- Hiking Boots